Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"Amazing, amazing..." :)

Audrey, one of Nathan's fellow patients at the rehab center, asked me the other night about where I was staying here in Klosterneuburg. "At a hotel?" she wondered. "At a house," I explained. "In fact, I have it to myself. The people who are leasing it are in the U.S. Actually, I haven't even met them. They're friends of friends of friends of friends."

"But I'll be transferring next week," I added. "Another family will be arriving to occupy the house I'm in now. So I'll be transferring to stay with another family. More friends of friends of friends."

Audrey had to laugh in astonishment at the thought that I had, not one, but two, "friends of friends of friends" willing to accomodate me in town as small as Klosterneuburg. "You know, Klosterneuburg is not a big place," she pointed out. As if I hadn't noticed.

"That's the way you religious communities operate..." mused Audrey. (I'd told her the other day that I'm part of a Christian "community.")

The following morning one of Nathan's nurses likewise asked about where I'm staying. When I explained that I'm staying with at the home of "friends of friends" in Klosterneuburg, but that I'll be transferring next week to stay with other "friends of friends," she kept repeating, "Amazing, amazing." (I assured her that I am as amazed as is she.)

I could not ask for a more remarkable demonstration of the truth of Jesus' words in John 13:35: "...Love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Patricia and Uncle Jim....
Both you and Nathen are doing a wonderful job,
keep up the amazing work. very best, P & J

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the continuing updates. Many many people ask how Nathan and the entire family are doing. Your words help us know how to pray with thanksgiving!