Sunday, January 20, 2008

On kindness and generosity

Nathan's progress has been such that there is an end in sight to our sojourn in Klosterneuburg. We plan to leave the rehab center on Thursday, bound for Salzburg (where we will return the car that was loaned us these past six weeks), and then fly to the USA on Monday (if I can work things out with the insurance companies involved).

I was quite dumbfounded at the way 3 John 5 perfectly describes Rob and Sandy Shaffer's ministry to me these past few days: It says "...you are doing a good work for God when you take care of the brothers who are passing through, even though they are strangers to you." (See the footnote in the New Living Translation.) I trust this blog serves as the sort of response described in verse 6: Telling God's people elsewhere of those gracious hosts' "friendship...and loving deeds."

The Shaffers so graciously hosting me is not the only example of kindness and generosity we have experienced these past few days. Nathan's attorney emailed to say that she had an idea she'd like to discuss with me. When I called, she explained that the driver's insurance company apparently intends to "stall" until Nathan's legal expenses compel him to give up on legal remedies, but that if Nathan has virtually no assets (and that is certainly the case!), she'd be happy to take on his case on a charitable basis. What a wonderful surprise!

Psalm 40:1-3 continues to be an uncannily apt description of the Lord's dealings with us over the past three months: "...The Lord...heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair... He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along..... Many will see what he has done and be astounded."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a blessing and encouragement to read about how the Lord has been working through the goodness and generosity of ordinary people!

Greg said...

I continue to be astounded.

Trapp Family said...

The kids at Harvest's Awana and so many families have been praying for Nathan and your family as he recovers/goes through rehab. Thank you very much for posting your updates on this blog!

In Prayer,

Lenny, Janell, Lauren and Brianna Trapp.

The journey from mom to grandmother said...

As Nathan continues to improve, we continue to pray. We look forward to hearing that you are "home" as it seems that the world has welcomed you home wherever you've been in this journey.

Thank you for keeping us posted...we are following your blog.

Frank said...

My friend, I continue to pray for God's healing in your son's life; and provisions....and thank you for continuing to share.
I will not stop praying, bro.