Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lucky? Or part of a bigger story?

The doctor who yesterday removed the bandages from Nathan's nose was the latest in a series of doctors who have said that Nathan was "very lucky." I know what they mean. It is indeed remarkable that he survived the accident at all. And that he did so without permanent brain damage is more amazing still. But "lucky?!" I don't think so.

The words of Gandalf (the wise old wizard in "The Lord of the Rings") to Bilbo Baggins "fit like a glove" when applied to Nathan's situation:

"You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!"

To attribute Nathan's surviving without brain damage to "luck" is to be blind to the "wider world"--the bigger picture, or the bigger story--in which each of us play a small part. There is a cosmic Playwright and Director at work. He uses both "tragic accidents" and "lucky breaks" together to further (and to eventually, to resolve) the glorious plot He has had in mind from before the foundation of the world.

"He is the God who made the world and everything in it. ....He himself gives life and breath to everything. ....His purpose in all this was that human beings should seek him, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him--though he is not far from any one of us. For in him we we 'live and move and exist.'" (Acts 17:28)

"The Lord who created you says: "...I have made them for my glory. It was I who created them.'" (Isaiah 43:7)

"The Lord's plans stand firm forever; his intentions can never be shaken." (Psalm 33:11)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kuya Greg and Ate Hannah,

I make it a point to read your blog everyday. It's like a devotional reading for me and I marvel at the way God is working in your lives despite the situation that you are now in. I am inspired by how you praised God and draw nearer to him.
I kept thinking where do you go from strength to strength despite this fearsome and unknown circumstance?I couldn't help but wonder and the more I thought about it, one thing is as sure as the relationship that you have with our God....so intimate and so personal...thank you for sharing your thoughts and your prayers...my prayers are with you....

Anonymous said...

hi, greg and hannah! so blessed to read your blog. i praise God for Nathan and for what he has done for him. amazing!