Thursday, November 15, 2007

Special request: surgery #6

I'm writing a second blog today to ask for special prayer for Nathan as he goes into surgery for the sixth time, about 11am tomorrow, Salzburg time.

The doctors have been telling us for weeks that Nathan might have an "injury to the skull base, with leakage of cerebrospinal fluid." Only yesterday did the CT scan reveal that that is indeed the case. The surgery is needed to prevent any future infections from reaching his brain through his sinuses, and causing meningitis.

There are the general risks associated with any surgery, but this procedure, so close to the eyes and to the nerves leading to the nose and mouth, is particularly delicate. Please pray that the surgeons will have extraordinary wisdom and dexterity as they perform the surgery.

Hannah and I considered Nathan a hero today. When we told him about his fellow students playing in the 5-6" of snow we got overnight, he calmly said he wished he were playing along with them. He was equally calm as he underwent a lumbar tap to check his spinal fluid for infection. And in the evening, he clarified, "I'll be spending the night here again tonight?"

That Nathan, and Hannah and I, are "on an even keel" at all is surely a wonderful answer to the prayers of a vast host of family and friends who are upholding our family. We are very grateful. Thank you for keeping Nathan and his surgeons in your prayers today!

5 comments:

Leanne Li said...

greg and mei, rest assured that we are praying for nathan's surgery tomorrow. may you all have the peace that God gives.
we love you all.

Kim Sison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Sison said...

Dear Greg & Hannah, I just sent a CHIKKA msg to Ces, so she too, can pray with me for tomorrow's very important surgery for Nathan. (1115pm, Singapore and Phil. time)

Unknown said...

dear hannah,

Just learned about nathan about a week ago. Have been praying for him and you all since then. I remember how you've been such a blessing to me in our counselling sessions together.As I read through the past blogs, I can see
so much of God's love, grace and mercy surrounding you all. Praying always for you. - fr Josie Tiu - Manila

Unknown said...

dear hannah,

Just learned about nathan about a week ago. Have been praying for him and you all since then. I remember how you've been such a blessing to me in our counselling sessions together.As I read through the past blogs, I can see
so much of God's love, grace and mercy surrounding you all. Praying always for you. - fr Josie Tiu - Manila